Hatch Projects are 5-year research plans with measurable goals and impacts designed to contribute to the broad research mission of the USDA-NIFA. These peer-reviewed projects allow the Nebraska Agricultural Experiment Station (ARD-Agricultural Research Division) to support faculty salaries with federal funds, which in turn free up state resources to be used for operating, travel, personnel, and graduate research assistantship support across the Institute of Agricultural and Natural Resources. Prior to developing a Hatch project, PIs/Co-PIs should engage with their unit administrator(s) and colleagues in research planning. We strongly recommend that faculty develop collaborative team-based Hatch Projects that have achievable goals; units must develop policies that allow funds provided by ARD (GRAs, staff-lines, operating and travel) to support approved Hatch projects.
Who needs a Hatch Project?
ARD Tenure-Track faculty MUST have Hatch project
• If faculty research aligns with mission of USDA
• Not for faculty with biomedical research interests
Non-Tenure Track faculty with an ARD appointment are not required to have a Hatch project but are not prevented from leading or collaborating on a Hatch project.
ARD Primary Contacts
Deb Hamernik, Associate Director, Nebraska Ag Experiment Station (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Beginning FY2020: Hector Santiago, Assistant Director, Nebraska Ag Experiment Station (email@example.com)
- Team Project Building
- Project Development and Review
Jaclyn Monaghan, Data Management Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Project Initiation and Annual Reporting
ARD Hatch Resources
The resources below provide general guidance for the development, review and initiation of USDA-NIFA Hatch projects.
Project Development Processes
- Individual Hatch Project Review Process (Process/Timeline for Creating a Hatch Project)
- Team Hatch Project Review Process (Process/Timeline for Creating Team Hatch Project)
Project Development Forms
- Hatch Peer Review Form (Reviewer Form)
- Hatch Project Outline Format (Proposal Outline)
- Hatch Project Approvals Form (Departmental Signatures)
- Team Hatch Participation Agreement (Team Accountability Form - Optional/Internal Use Only)
NIFA projects are only considered active after submission and approval via a REEport Project Initiation. Please contact Jaclyn Monaghan (email@example.com) for questions or assistance. Click here to access USDA-NIFA REEport portal.