Approximately 25 percent of the Hatch Act funds provided to the Nebraska Agricultural Experiment Station (NEAES) are set aside to support multistate research activities. We encourage faculty to participate in Multistate (regional) Research Projects that benefit Nebraska and its citizens. Multistate projects are similar to Hatch-regular projects, but involve a team of investigators associated with several State Agricultural Experiment Stations working together to solve complex scientific problems of regional or national interest. Funds obtained for Multistate Projects are used to provide travel expenses for attendance of official NEAES representatives at annual meetings of multi-state research projects (NE, NC, S or W), coordinating committees/information exchange groups (NCR, SIEG, etc.), administrative committees (NCA, etc) or proposal development committees (NCT, etc). Funding for operations/supplies, graduate student and technical support may also be provided during the (typically) 5-year period of a multistate project. The process for obtaining these relatively long-term allocations is undergoing transition. For more information regarding the new allocation process, see the document titled "Hatch Multistate Project Funding RFA."
In general, funding will be provided as follows:
Travel/Meeting Participation Funding
The NEAES will generally support reasonable travel expenses for one ARD-affiliated UNL investigator to the annual meeting of any Multistate Research Project, National Research Support Project, Coordinating Committee, Education/Extension and Research Activity, Development Committee, or Advisory Committee (Dept. Head Meetings). Faculty must be official members of the Committee (listed in Appendix E) to be eligible for Multistate Travel funding.
Project Renewals and Programmatic Funding (Proposals must be received and routed in NUgrant by Jan. 31st)
Programmatic funding will be available for Multistate Research Projects (NC, NE, S, or W -xxx) or National Research Support Projects (NRSP -xx). Programmatic funding is not available for CC, ERA, DC, or AC projects. Multistate Research Projects are governed by a five-year plan of work approved by the region and the USDA NIFA. New national-project outlines, within the North Central Region (NC), are due to the regional office for review by mid-December with a potential start-date the following October (other regions have slightly different review schedules, but most projects start and end with the federal fiscal year). If ARD faculty want to receive programmatic funds during the approved project funding cycle (usually 5-years) in addition to funding to travel to the annual multistate committee meeting, they must submit an application for Hatch Multistate Funding by January 31 of the year in which approval for the new project is expected. In addition, ARD faculty may resubmit, or submit for the first time, a new or revised application for Hatch Multistate Funding during the first year of a new multistate project—this application would request funding for the remaining four years of the national five-year Multistate Research Project.
There are two funding programs to which PIs may apply:
- Supplemental Hatch-Multistate Funding Program ($10,000 per approved ARD PI participant per year); Eligibility Decision Tree
- Enhanced Hatch-Multistate Research Funding Program (up to $100,000 per year/per proposal); Eligibility Decision Tree
How to search for a Multistate Committee:
- National Information Management and Support System (NIMSS) (Check/Explore project topics and termination dates) www.nimss.org/
- At NIMSS home page, click on "Search"
- On the search page, if you know the project number, type it in and click on “Search”
- Click on the appropriate project title, once the project loads click on "Outline" to see the termination date.
If you want to explore various projects:
- At NIMSS home page, click on "Search"
- On the search page, type in a search word within the project title box (such as, “Swine”, “Soybean”, “Disease”)
- Click – search.
- Click on Project Number for more information.
- To read the entire project outline – click on “outline”
- To view the participants of this committee, click on “Appendix E”
Have questions or need more information?
Call the ARD office (402-472-2045) or email Jaclyn Monaghan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- FFY 2017-18 Hatch Multistate Project Funding RFA
- Enhanced Funding Decision Tree (Eligibility)
- Supplemental Funding Decision Tree (Eligibility)
- Appendix-E (Participant Form)
- Appendix-E Codes Reference
- NIMSS website
- National Multistate Research Guidelines
- North Central Region Research Portfolio (As of October 2016)